Sunday, August 30, 2009

Untitled

I couldn't think of anything else to call this post... so there you go.
Highlands recently began a young adult's class called "the Well." We went to the new Beagle Bagel Cafe after church today. Good times.
I've always had a different view on the Sabbath and it has definitely changed over the past few years. I used to be a lot more legalistic about it. I would miss out on opportunities to see and fellowship with people in order to follow what I feel was right. I also found myself being more judgemental of people who would do things that I didn't agree with.
In more recent years, I've started to see it as a gift. God created us, right? And he know's how we're made, right? Well, when he tells us that you can't work ALL the time, I think he knows what he's talking about. With this statement, I'm not here to draw out lines that everyone is supposed to follow. BUT... I think that He really does call us to intentionally set aside time for Himself with us and time for us to have as a rest from our labors. That may not look the same for everyone, but it is a mandate from our Maker.
The Sabbath used to be a burden to me. "I can't do ____; I can't do ____"
Now, I'm realizing it's a gift. "I don't HAVE to do ________ 24/7. This doesn't have to consume me" This has especially become more apparent and more important since beginning medical school a few weeks ago. Time has become a lot more hard to come by although it's not impossible to find time for things. I'm learning that I genuinely cannot study ALL of the time. I discovered this after staring at an anatomy book for 5 hours and nothing is sticking anymore.

Hoping to start posting more often. By the way, bloglines.com is a great way to keep up with all your favorite blogs. It lets you know when you're friends update their blogs.




1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yes we are at Providence. We love it there. I'll let Daniel know that you said hi.

I like your thoughts on the Sabbath being a gift. It is better to think of it that way. Then we can actually enjoy our time instead of worrying about whether we are breaking the Sabbath.

I think I can be more on the legalistic side of things, even when I disagree with the legalism I'm participating in. Does that make sense? :) Sometimes I have to slow down and let myself have a relaxed mindset. This is where rest can truly happen for me.